There's also an explanation of the calendar and its relation to the English (Gregorian) one.
Here is the January listing.
- Lohri: Tuesday, 13-01-2009
- Makarsankranti / Pongal / Tamil New Year / Magha Bihu: Wednesday, 14-01-2009 (official end of Winter, or when the sun enters Capricorn sign in the Vedic system. It's different from the Western)
- Thiruvalluvar Day : Thursday, 15-01-2009 (I think this is only for Tamil Nadu)
- Mauni Amavasya: Monday, 26-01-2009 --(Amavasya means Dark Moon or New Moon)
- Vasant Panchami / Saraswati Puja: Saturday, 31-01-2009 (aka Sree Panchami, official start of Spring)
These observances get earlier and earlier every year. I read a few months ago about how the Jyotishis (Joshis in Nepal) are discussing how to adjust the calendar. At the rate the lunar calendar is progressing, or I suppose regressing, pretty soon the harvest-themed festivals such as Dasain will be in August. That just won't do.