Sunday, March 26, 2006

Phayul's interview with the Dalai Lama

from Phayul Tibetan News, October 2005.

Question: What are your thoughts on the Iraq War?

The Dalai Lama: When September 11 happened, the next day I wrote a letter to President Bush as a friend—because I know him personally. I wrote this letter and expressed, besides my condolences and sadness, a countermeasure to this tragedy: a nonviolent response because that would have been more effective. So this is my stance. And then just before the Iraq crisis started, millions of people from countries like Australia and America expressed their opposition to violence. I really admired and appreciated this.

When the war started, some people immediately asked me if it was justified or not, whether it was right or wrong. In principle, any resort to violence is wrong.

read the full interview here.

1 comment:

Sirensongs: Indologist At Large said...

King Amdo wrote: THERES A FIRE IN THE HOUSE!

Yes, and you don't fight it by adding more fire. Can you please re-post your comment without the vulgar namecalling? Till then I have deleted it.